I love Chairish, as you may have assumed from my previous post. What I am most excited by is the opportunity to give something “used” a new life, and to find great quality pieces at affordable prices, that are also unique and different!
I found this nightstand while searching Chairish and paid $113 for the nighstand + $80 shipping (negotiated down to UPS from white-glove). It is prettier in person than it was in the listing and there are two operational drawers that were not initially highlighted that made me so happy to see.
Am now searching for a new lamp with more color to add to this room – potentially an emerald green or a painted floral base. TBC…!
We installed Blinds.com Malay Oak wooden romans in the guest room and will layer curtains on top. The blinds.com wooden romans are a great deal and this custom treatment cost only ~$290. The shades fit perfectly on the first try and the continuous loop cord is discreet and has a clean finish.
We will add Bird & Thistle curtains that match our Brunshwig & Fils wallpaper.
Layered over the wooden roman will be Bird & Thistle drapes in a traditional French Pleat, also known as “pinch pleat”, style. I am having the curtains made locally, in Chicago.
Rods are typically installed 4″ above the window frame, but we will need to install closer to the ceiling to align best with the window casing. This window is 63″ wide and 73″ including the trim. The length is approximately 106″. For this window I was advised that I should leave ~10 inches on each side of the window to provide enough space, but I am leaving only 3″ in addition to the molding since the molding is so wide. This will provide for 8″ on each side beyond the window glass for the drapes to bunch.
The drapes will require 12 yards of fabric. I will hang the drapes on loops and mount the rod directly onto the wood frame (I don’t want to mount on the wallpaper). Hopefully we can leave a few inches of fabric behind the loop and have enough to pull across given this configuration.
Everyone loves a good IKEA hack, like my last leather woven chair hack that you can find here. This one is much simpler. The prices of the beds at IKEA can’t be beat. This bed was $359 + tax and delivery and can be found here. For this project, I am only 1) painting and 2) tweaking the design a bit by leaving off the top cross beam. Easy!
The bed that I selected was the Gjora bed because it has a nice height off the ground (more traditional) and it is simple. It also doesn’t hurt that it ” doesn’t look like Ikea”.
The bed came in 5 thin and tall boxes that were relatively easy to wrangle into the elevator. I laid out the primary wooden pieces and immediately started to paint the exterior of the platform support and the bedposts Wimborne White from Farrow & Ball (leftover wall paint) to match our guest room trim. I quickly ran a clean towel down each piece to pick up any dust (there didn’t appear to be any).
I did not prime the pieces or do any prep work and used a brush to apply the paint. I applied the paint only to the outer surface of the support boards and painted the top edge AFTER the bed was assembled. This was easier than having to hold each board on its side. It also helped to conserve paint as no edges that do not show were inadvertently painted white.
I debated setting up the bed directly onto the hardwood, but decided to lay down a basic rug to give some texture to the room and a soft place for feet to land. This rug was from Houzz and was not expensive. It can easily be changed out in the future.
After I painted the bed, I left off the top cross-bar that the Gjora features because I felt like it appeared too high and a bit strange. It also gave me less to paint! I will add finials to these posts once I identify which finials are best.
I will add additional pillows once they arrive, finials on the bed posts and a quilt to the foot of the bed. Will post additional pictures once it is complete.
The total cost of this bed was ~$980 start to finish, including the mattress from Tuft & Needle and the frame from Ikea.
The guest bedroom has been papered in Bird and Thistle by Brunshwig & Fils, and I’m excited that the entire place is coming together as planned and on schedule.
As a reminder, this is where we started:
And, this is where we are today!
I am thrilled with the results. Walter’s team at Tapia’s Works in Chicago did a great job installing this paper with no waste. We completed this entire job with our budgeted paper and will use the remaining strips to cover wooden tissue boxes (craft project!). The room is painted in Farrow & Ball Wimborne White. The original moldings and doors are spray finished. The doorknobs are antique brass.
The build-in bookcase is great, but it wasn’t finished particularly well. The middle strips should be covered with molding, which we will add.
We are planning to paper the guest bedroom in Brunschwig & Fils “Bird and Thistle” wallpaper in the Green colorway. We removed a bookcase from this room and it is looking less than perfect these days with lots of color patches.
I’m working on placing an order for this paper so we can be ready for Walter to install in the coming months. As a reminder, we are working on the guest room, highlighted below.
I have found a couple of different resources for estimating the number of rolls needed. The bookcase helps us out because we do not need to paper the majority of that wall. I checked Lowe’s = 6 rolls. I checked Amara Living = 6 rolls. I checked Omni Calculator (this site has a calculator for everything!) = 6 rolls. Three for three! We will go with 6 rolls and get this order placed.