Everyone loves a good IKEA hack, like my last leather woven chair hack that you can find here. This one is much simpler. The prices of the beds at IKEA can’t be beat. This bed was $359 + tax and delivery and can be found here. For this project, I am only 1) painting and 2) tweaking the design a bit by leaving off the top cross beam. Easy!
The bed that I selected was the Gjora bed because it has a nice height off the ground (more traditional) and it is simple. It also doesn’t hurt that it ” doesn’t look like Ikea”.
The bed came in 5 thin and tall boxes that were relatively easy to wrangle into the elevator. I laid out the primary wooden pieces and immediately started to paint the exterior of the platform support and the bedposts Wimborne White from Farrow & Ball (leftover wall paint) to match our guest room trim. I quickly ran a clean towel down each piece to pick up any dust (there didn’t appear to be any).
I did not prime the pieces or do any prep work and used a brush to apply the paint. I applied the paint only to the outer surface of the support boards and painted the top edge AFTER the bed was assembled. This was easier than having to hold each board on its side. It also helped to conserve paint as no edges that do not show were inadvertently painted white.
I debated setting up the bed directly onto the hardwood, but decided to lay down a basic rug to give some texture to the room and a soft place for feet to land. This rug was from Houzz and was not expensive. It can easily be changed out in the future.
After I painted the bed, I left off the top cross-bar that the Gjora features because I felt like it appeared too high and a bit strange. It also gave me less to paint! I will add finials to these posts once I identify which finials are best.
I will add additional pillows once they arrive, finials on the bed posts and a quilt to the foot of the bed. Will post additional pictures once it is complete.
The total cost of this bed was ~$980 start to finish, including the mattress from Tuft & Needle and the frame from Ikea.
Remember the old Ming Circus wallpaper in the entry? It has been transformed with Gucci Herbarium and it was fabulous, until I noticed a big error. Can you spot it?
No, it’s not that the paper is missing over the door. The installers haven’t gotten to that piece yet.
Notice the butterflies in the pattern that are flying upside down? <cringe>. Gucci actually rolled their paper upside down. Typically the end of the roll is the top of the wall. Typically the wallpaper rolls down the wall. However, in this case, the top of the roll was the bottom of the wall (not standard). It was not my installers mistake and Gucci is going to fix this issue with their manufacturer. I guess that is what happens when you are an early adopter? Unfortunately we will have to strip the paper and re-wallpaper the entry. Thankfully it was not a huge space and thankfully Tapia’s Works is fantastic and is doing this again for me. Needless to say, if anyone is interested in using this paper be extra careful about reviewing your roll and the orientation. It is possible that your paper too will be rolled upside down such that the top of the roll is the bottom of the wall…
The den is draped in a lovely shade of Wimborne White paint. Walter and his team from Tapia’s Works carefully painted the detailed mantle, trim and ceiling. The den is now ready for a coat of Railings which will be a dramatic update for this space and make it a super cozy place to hang out.
I’m excited about this room because it will be painted Railings, a softer alternative to black. You may remember what the room looked like before we got started. The brick on the fireplace was the inspiration for the wall color.
It is funny to me that the previous owner painted around the mirror, but not underneath it. The mirror was purchased from the prior owner for $500 and will be re-hung once the painting is finished.
I am excited to move into an era of paint that is NOT gray. I am tired of the gray paint that I have been enjoying for the last 10 years (aren’t you?!).
The finish of Wimborne White on the trim is Estate Eggshell and the walls will be painted Estate Emulsion, a chalky finish.
One of the neighboring units did restore their mantle to original wood and it was gorgeous, but out of budget (and time!) for us to restore, so we have kept with white paint and will enjoy the character with fireside drinks with family and friends!
The Master Bedroom wallpaper has been stripped along with the front entry. Everything looks yellow and pink and smeared today, but soon it will look beautiful! Here is the gap between the bay windows where we will place the dresser, that is currently being constructed in Tennessee.
It is always odd to see what lies beneath wallpaper. I would have expected a single color of paint, but that was certainly not the case in this house. We have found everything from pink to green, and nothing that we expected.
The baseboards were never properly finished and they don’t look good today, but a coat of paint is all these baseboards need to look fresh and new.
The lighting fixture was on sale for 20% off from Circa Lighting, but painfully back-ordered for months, as it was ordered in December and still has not shipped. We are also using a pair of the Ralph Lauren Allan single sconces in the hallway which will help pull the lighting together.